Friday, June 10, 2011

First Week Recap

I have significantly less time on my hands than I thought I would. I guess I didn't expect a 9-10 hour workday + a nearly one hour commute each way. As such, I ma dumb-down most of my posts to lists. After one week in Michigan and on the job, I have the following thoughts.

What I like about my job so far:
- the team I work with is awesome and fosters bonding with team lunches, happy hours, and outings to baseball games during working hours.
- people have actually heard of the company and don't ask "oh, what do they do?" when I tell them where I work.
- management is actually committed to making sure employees get the most out of their jobs and learn as much as possible within a 5 year period.
- I won't be "the new person" for more than a few months.
- Spur-of-the-moment 'field trips" to watch our products get destroyed in testing.

What I dislike about my job:
- the 45 min + commute.
- when someone says they're not a morning person, so they come in later than the rest of the team, they mean they arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- 6 months is the norm to fully learn a position. I'm just used to jumping in and going.
- Acronyms.

Also, as per my training in online etiquette at orientation, I give the following disclaimer: if you're reading this, you should know me, and therefore know which company I work for. I'm omitting the name of my company on purpose. Please do not include my company name or position in any comments or replies on this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment