Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Formidable Opponent

In my first week living alone, I've managed to assemble a chair and table single-handedly. I put up a shower curtain, organized my tiny kitchen, assembled a tower fan, got my wireless router working (with a little help), and even fixed my closet door when it came off track (that one would have been much easier with 2 sets of hands). Imagine my surprise when the object to finally defeat me was my beloved car. The SOS (DMV for you southerners) drained me yesterday when getting m new driver's license and license plate, so I decided to leave it alone until today. Well, I got ready to go out, grabbed my screw driver and new plate, walked up behind my car, went to loosen the screws and....nothing. Gosh dern things won't budge. Now I'm debating going to a dealership, asking the nice moving men to try for me, or taping my new tag in the back window and hoping officers don't have a problem.

One thing I learned today on my way to Ikea: I live within 10 mins of the Detroit zoo! I sense a membership purchase in the near future and photos of zebras in snow around winter time.

I had a rather interesting trip to Ikea today. I parked far away to find my car easily and have a nice stroll in. But before I drove out of the parking lot, I was in and out 3 times. The main purpose of the trip was to use up coupons I earned on my last visit and to pick up a small ironing board and other small items. I walked in, and realized I didn't have my coupons. Back to the car, and after getting a couple things, I realized my total was less than the coupon and I'd need another item to use it. Finish transaction, back to the car, and back into Ikea for one last time.

After all that back and forth, I needed a cold one (Jordan translation: I went to McD's for a $1 large soda). I saw a smoothie sitting there when the employee opened the window and right when I was about to tell him that wasn't my order, he extended it out and asked if I wanted a free strawberry banana smoothie. I have no idea why it was free. Some sort of promotion to get people buying smoothies? They messed up another customer's order and were trying to pawn the remains off on me? Someone ordered then changed their minds? No idea. What I do know is that I was surprised how much I liked a McD's strawberry banana smoothie. I'm sure being free helped a lot, but I don't care for fruit much at all, and especially don't like bananas in smoothies because they typically overpower the other fruit. This was a perfect balance of strawberry and banana. I got home and looked up the nutrition info, thinking it would be some horribly bad-for-you food. 210 calories and .5 grams of fat. Not bad. There was a significant amount of sugar, but it must have been natural because the ingredients listed are only strawberry banana fruit blend (anyone know how artificial this can be? why doesn't it just say strawberries and bananas?), yogurt, and ice. End of a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment